[Foundation-l] The status of smaller languages on the Wikimedia Commons

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu May 4 18:17:43 UTC 2006

Brianna Laugher wrote:
> GerardM said:
>

>> It is abundantly true that we need better support for the localisation
>> of our project and of our software. There is a subcommittee that deals
>> with communication and translation. I am sure that they were consulted
>> before these punitive measures were enacted.
>>

> Sorry, what subcommittee? The meta subcommittee that is completely
> divorced from commons? (I'm not saying that's their fault or the
> Commons' fault, but it's a fact)
>
> folengo said:
>
>> The issue has
>> been discussed on the English speaking village pump of Commons.
>> But should we consider the English speaking village pump of
>> Commons as an authoritative voice in a multilingual project, which
>> includes tiny minority languages, and also somewhat less tiny
>> minority languages yet less active and dynamic than the English
>> speaking community (and represented there mostly by bilingual
>> people, non bilingual people being almost absent and
>> underrepresented if not unrepresented) ?
>>

> What is the alternative???? How do you honestly propose that we
> communicate with all these monolingual people?
>
> As you know Teofilio I have supported some of your measures (like the
> &uselang links one) and disagreed with others (parallel category
> structures), and as it happens I disagree with the "hiding" links
> approach of Arnomane. Although the Arabic front page is quite
> appalling: literally one paragraph. It is the *only* page in
> [[Category:Commons-ar]]. I did suggest to an admin candidate who spoke
> Arabic that they might like to update it substantially. But if native
> speakers are not interested in maintaining their translations what
> exactly are us non-speakers supposed to do about it? We cannot force
> them. They have to take the initiative. But they are more interested
> in their Wikipedia or other projects - of course! The vast majority of
> English and German speakers are too, actually. These projects are just
> lucky enough to have a "surplus of interest" to allow something
> resembling a Commons community to exist.
>
> Realistic, workable, technically-feasible ideas to promote
> multilinguality, I will always support. But it is unrealistic to
> expect the people who are interested in the Commons to consult over
> 100 different language groups on ANYTHING let alone EVERYTHING.
>
> Look at the Village Pumps - look at how active they are.
> (als) Commons:Brünnele No topics.
> (ar?) Commons:قهوه‌خانه One line, not even set up. Should probably be deleted.
> (bg) Commons:Разговори One topic in October 2005.
> (ca?) Commons:La taverna 6 topics, last active November 2005.
> (de) Commons:Forum Active.
> (en) Commons:Village pump Active.
> (es) Commons:Café Active.
> (fi) Commons:Kahvihuone No topics.
> (fr) Commons:Bistro Maintained, but not very active (6 topics).
> (gl) Commons:A Taberna Maintained, not very active (9 topics).
> (he) Commons:המזנון 1 topic, unanswered.
> [...]
Hoi,
I hoped for a reaction and I am pleased with what I got. The problem is
one of communication. A decision is made in Commons for all the best
intended reasons and it is implemented. Great. Well, actually yes and
no. Yes because something happens and, no because the communication is
sadly lacking. Why you are talking about a meta-subcommittee I wonder, I
was thinking more in terms of the communication committee and its
translation subcommittee. With the new structures that are put in place,
there are new opportunities to find ways of getting your message out.

As to your request to harass developers for automatic translation .. a
large part of what needs doing is called http://wiktionaryz.org and we
are getting towards the point where we can do some good. Another part of
making Commons more relevant is called InstantCommons and we are waiting
for the special projects committee to finally inform us that we can
start coding. You may also know that we are coding Multilingual
MediaWiki, this will help Commons in its quest for multi linguality.

So yes, we do try to get things done. We will get you the functionality
that will allow a 7 year old to find her picture of a "chien" or a
"cheval". But please do communicate big things, do use the Foundation or
the Wikipedia list for things that are profound. It is the lack of
communication that creates resentment it is not the fact that things are
done.

Thanks,
   GerardM