[Foundation-l] RfC: A Free Content and Expression Definition

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed May 3 15:49:51 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We can be successful while still maintaining our
> > focus on providing
> > free content.
> I can accept this sentiment. We should remove the
> exception for non-free content being allowed under
> fair use.
>
> Birgitte SB

Sure, but at the same time we should acknowledge that an encyclopedia
article that is legal to copy, distribute, improve, and translate, for
any purpose (including commercial ones), in the vast majority of the
world, is "free enough", even if the pictures can't be cut out and put
in your car commercial.  IOW, some fair use can be allowed while the
work remains free.

Anthony