[Foundation-l] RfC: A Free Content and Expression Definition

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon May 1 20:57:25 UTC 2006

Birgitte SB wrote:
> I am sure there
> are many documents availble under the terms of no
> modification that Wikisource would love to have.  I do
> not know why you think such works would have no place
> simply beacuse they cannot be modified.

This has always been our policy everywhere.  If there are documents
under Wikisource which are under nonfree licenses, and I am not aware
that there are, they should be deleted immediately.

> I see no
> value whatsoever in being able to modify the works of
> Charles Dickens, the Paris Peace Accords, or the
> Constitution of Singapore.  In all honesty I see think
> this is true for 90% of material on Wikisource.

I can absolutely see many reasons to modify each of those.  Not *on*
wikisource, mind you.

1. Charles Dickens - perhaps I want to write an updated version,
modernizing the tale to deal with contemporary issues... I would find
the public domain text perhaps an excellent starting point.

2. Paris Peace Accords - imagine that I am writing historical fiction,
and I want to explore how some minor change in the provisions of a
treaty might radically impact history... I might want to include a
modified version of the Paris Peace Accords in an appendix of my novel.

3.  Constitution of Singapore - perhaps I am a free speech advocate
seeking to persuade people that Singapore's constitution needs to be
modified in various ways to contribute to a healthier society.

--Jimbo