[Foundation-l] RfC: A Free Content and Expression Definition

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon May 1 18:05:51 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Wikimedia community,
>
> I am posting this to multiple lists, as I believe it is relevant to
> each of them (more on that below).
>
> For years, we have been using the term "free content" to refer to our
> projects. However, what exactly is free content? Does it include the
> right to make commercial use? Does it allow derivative works? A year
> ago, Anthere, one of our elected trustees, noted that the English
> Wikipedia article [[free content]] is confused and contains no clear
> definition. This is no surprise, as the term has evolved purely
> through its usage. One year on, the article doesn't look much better
> and still doesn't contain a single reference.

Wow, that's awesome.  Is Jimbo in on this?  I remember talking to him
over a year ago about it and the discussion started like this:

----
Anthony DiPierro wrote:
>  The root of the problem is that we haven't decided what it means to
> be a *free* encyclopedia.

I don't have any idea why you think this.  There has never been any
question about this at all.
-----

8/21/04, if you'd like to look at the archives yourself.

Anthony