[Foundation-l] RfC: A Free Content and Expression Definition

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 17:56:58 UTC 2006

--- Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Wikimedia
>
> >The definition makes it easy to resolve the
> question
> >of which licenses
> >to allow or disallow across projects. For example,
> >Wikimedia-wide
> >policy could be that: "All content in all projects
> >must be free
> >content as per the Free Content Definition 1.0,
> with
> >the exception of
> >works which are used under exemptions granted by
> >national copyright
> >laws, such as 'fair use' in the United States.
> These
> >exemptions are
> >defined on a per-project and per-language basis."

I would like to appeal to everyone to re-read the
above paragraph.  If Wikimedia wants to take the high
road and stick to the strictest principles regarding
"free content", the exception allowing fair use must
be removed from that statement.  If Wikimedia wishes
to be more flexible, then each project should be
allowed to draft it's own exceptions.  The English
Wikisource does not allow anything under fair use at
all, the English Wikipedia allows anything legally
allowed in regards to US fair use.  Such material is
much less free than the any non-derivatives existing
on enWS.  Also fair use is pervasive thoughout enWP,
where any ND at enWS could be clearly marked and
compartmentalized.  This is how I feel on the matter
and I will strongly oppose policy being enacted with
wording given above.

Birgitte SB