[Foundation-l] RfC: A Free Content and Expression Definition

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Mon May 1 16:03:08 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a problem with Wikimedia adopting this proposal
> as Wikisource certainly has a place for documents
> availble under licences forbidding modification.  I do
> not have specific examples in mind, but we already
> have policy of protecting all works from modification
> once they have been proofread to a certain degree.

These are completely separate statements. Protecting a page from
editing is entirely different from using legal powers to stop others
from distributing a modified version of that page. Page protection is
a policy matter, forbidding derivatives is a matter of law. I feel
that documents which cannot legally be distributed in altered form
have no place on Wikisource. But that is exactly the discussion we
need to have, especially on the Board level.

Erik