[Foundation-l] Rodovid.org, family tree wiki, wishes to become a wiki project

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 31 18:01:34 UTC 2006

Benjamin Webb wrote:

>The one real issue is the matter of linking from Wikipedia and other
>Wikimedia projects to Rodovid. If it did become a Wikimedia project, then
>nobody would object to this: we could use link boxes like we currently have
>for commons etc.
>
>But what if the project is run independently, could any linking be done
>then. Personally as a Wikipedia contributor myself, I feel having such links
>would add to the quality of an article. However, I am sure others would
>disagree with this and delete it as spam linking.

I have no more objection to this than to any other external link.  If an
individual has an article about him in Wikipedia, and a genealogical
entry in Rodovid that's not spam.  I would frown on a lot of speculative
links based only on the hope that Rodovid will someday include their
family histories.

Whether these links are in some kind of link box is a formatting issue
rather than a substantive one.

Ec