[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Meta:MetaProject to Overhaul Meta

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Mar 31 09:35:13 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> This isn't a proposal for an English meta at all. It was an
> attempt to make Meta actually useful as a cross-project work
> wiki, rather than a disorganised collection of historical
> documents with a few working pages camped out in the
> archaeological rubble.

Can anyone please explain to me what "work" means here?

One of the archaic pages on meta is
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikispecies
which hasn't really changed much since September 2004. The project
proposal is dead, nobody works on it.  There are few better
examples of dead meat on meta.

The current proposal to "overhaul" meta seems to suggest that the
Wikispecies page could be simply deleted.  Is that correct?

Then next month, someone can come to this new, fresh and
legacy-free meta to do "work", for example by suggesting a new
project called Wikispecies.  Since there is no previous mentioning
of this idea, it must be new.  Brave new world!

If I'm missing something here, perhaps a better explanation
of the overhaul plans could be needed.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)