[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Foundation: invitation to the iCommons Summit - 23-25 June, Rio

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 05:12:44 UTC 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Heather Ford <hfordsa at gmail.com>
Date: Mar 29, 2006 4:05 PM
Subject: Wikimedia Foundation: invitation to the iCommons Summit -
23-25 June, Rio
To: foundation-l-owner at wikimedia.org
Cc: Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com>

Please forward to the list - thank you!

__________________________________

Dear members of the Wikimedia Foundation,

I'm very pleased to extend a very warm invitation to you all to attend
the annual iCommons Summit taking place this year in the heart of free
culture - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - from the 23rd to the 25th of June.
We're hoping to have very strong participation by the Wikimedia
Foundation in the event - along with communities from Creative
Commons, Science Commons, Ubuntu, open access and others.

This year's Summit is set to be one of the most exciting events for
creative and knowledge commons pioneers from around the world and is
structured around three major themes:

1. Tools. Developing effective, relevant tools to assist other
creators, authors, scientists and researchers to develop and showcase
their creativity and innovation.

2. Policy. Strategies to ensure international, regional and local
policy fora that are conducive to the development and nurturing of the
commons.

3. Practice. Learning from the experience of others to develop
effective models for the development of open content in societies
around the world.

The goals of iCommons are to build the Summit into a launch-pad for
global cooperation around commons projects and to provide an open,
creative space for practitioners to learn from best case practices and
to showcase new ideas. With iCommons' strong institutional
partnerships, we will continue to nurture these alliances throughout
the year, providing the tools and spaces for commoners to build on the
friendships and shared experience of the event, and building a united
global commons community.

The three-day program will have a mix of formal presentations,
roundtable working groups, practical workshops and community-driven
program slots that enable participants to gain strategic insights and
practical techniques as well as play a critical role in shaping the
emerging global commons movement.

With keynote speakers including Larry Lessig, Jimmy Wales, Joi Ito and
James Boyle who will inspire participants with a vision of a living,
thriving commons, to members of the expanding iCommons community
showcasing their ideas and inviting participation in key projects,
this year's Summit is proving to be a must-attend for anyone engaged
in the growth and development of the digital commons of the future.

We sincerely hope that as many Wikimedia Foundation members can attend
as possible - and I look forward to receiving your suggestions for
presenting the work of the Foundation at the event.

I will send more details when we launch the website later this week,
but please diarise in the meantime :)

Best wishes,

Heather.

--