[Foundation-l] Problems on block ip user in Chinese Wikipedia

michael_irwin at verizon.net michael_irwin at verizon.net
Tue Mar 28 19:35:10 UTC 2006

mingli yuan wrote:

> Basically, we would like to have
>users' real IP (IP used to access CNBlog proxy) displayed and logged
>at Wikimedia.

Would this not raise concern that it makes it easy for governmental
authorities to trace and persecute individual users?

At the moment when I am careless regarding logins, my IP address is
logged instead of my user handle.  This is not a concern for me at the
moment because I live in the U.S. and enjoy rather large protections
regarding U.S. Constitutional rights to free speech and freedom to
assemble and associate.

While some cracks in these vaunted rights and freedoms have appeared for
Islamic or Arabic citizens as an expediency of war, a restoring backlash
seems to be building adequate to keep my personal risks from online
participation low enough to incurr for the moment.

How would you propose that we warn new Chinese users adequately that
anything they post to a Wikimedia site can be used against them by
agents of their government?

Would such warnings incurr any liability to the Wikimedia Foundation or
its users from the more militant factions of the Chinese Government?

Personally I have no intentions of traveling to China anytime soon but
other peoples who participate in our online communities may have
different plans for the near or far future.   It would be extremely
disruptive to have a Wikimania conducted in Beijing impacted by the
highly televised arrest and show trial of vocal care free Wikimanians
not protected by the armed forces of the United States of America.

regards,
lazyquasar