[Foundation-l] Problems on block ip user in Chinese Wikipedia

mingli yuan mingli.yuan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 09:01:19 UTC 2006

Hi, buddies. The Chinese Wikimedia users need some technical help from
the developers at the Foundation.

As everyone here believes, the government of P.R. China has blocked
access to all Wikimedia sites using its "Great Firewall"; Wikimedia
contributors and users in Mainland China have to use proxies to visit
Wikimedia sites. However, most of these proxies are unstable, so
CNBlog.org (a famous and prominent advocacy of blogosphere in China
operated by Social Brian Foundation, which hosted the First Chinese
Blogger Conference last year) has setup a stable proxy for Chinese
users.

With this service, Mainland Chinese users can access Chinese Wikipedia
using http://wikipedia.cnblog.org, and Chinese Wikinews using
http://wikinews.cnblog.org. There are over 16,000 visits and over
110,000 page requests per day this month. CNBlog.org has been very
helpful to Chinese users, and it is planning to expand its proxy
service to cover all Chinese Wikimedia projects, which is really great
news.

Unfortunately, Chinese Wikimedia administrators are frowned upon an
issue that came up recently: lots of vandalism is done using the
CNBlog proxy. Currently, the IP of the CNBlog proxy is displayed and
logged in edit history on Wikimedia. If an administrator blocks this
IP (CNBlog proxy), all Mainland Chinese users who are using CNBlog
proxy, either logged-in or not, will be blocked as well and not be
able to contribute.

Some Chinese Wikipedians discussed this issue with CNBlog.org, and we
believe that a technical solution should be feasible. We also
discussed some technical details, and I will send another e-mail to
wikitech-l regarding the details. Basically, we would like to have
users' real IP (IP used to access CNBlog proxy) displayed and logged
at Wikimedia.

We send this e-mail to here on behalf of many Chinese users. We hope
to have kind attention and help from the Foundation. Thank you very
much.

[[User:Shizhao]]
[[User:R.O.C]]
[[User:Yongxinge]]