[Foundation-l] Rodovid.org, family tree wiki, wishes to become a wiki project

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Mar 26 14:06:11 UTC 2006

Benjamin Webb wrote:

>On 26/03/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>>

>>>Or more to the point, I think that starting a geneology project is
>>>actually going to be a significant source of revenue for the Wikimedia
>>>Foundation rather than being a drag on the resources.
>>>

>>Probabably so, and by charging very modest fees at that.  The question
>>to ask then, given the massive number of genealogical websites out
>>there, what can we do that will make our site more desirable than all
>>the others.
>>

>Surely the Wikimedia Foundation isn't going to charge fees, I thought it was
>non-profit. Have I misunderstood what you are saying?

The implication here (speaking for myself and not Ray) is that bottom
line finances are just as important to non-profit groups like the
Wikimedia Foundation as they are to for-profit organizations as well.
 Perhaps more so because the number of potential sources of income is
restricted in a number of ways.

I am not advocating that any direct fees be required for access to this
or any Wikimedia project.  I'm just pointing out that there is money
available from a great many people, and the current donation system for
the Wikimedia Foundation would be almost ideal for financing a project
of this nature.  If presented in the right context and explained
properly, there would be many voluntary donations from a great many
people to help support an on-line geneological project.  Precisely what
the Wikimedia Foundation needs to maintain its tax-exempt status.

Or if it is rejected by the board, there would be money available to
finance it, but it would require financial controls that the Wikimedia
Foundation has already established.

--
Robert Scott Horning