[Foundation-l] Rodovid.org, family tree wiki, wishes to become a wiki project

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sat Mar 25 01:43:54 UTC 2006

michael_irwin at verizon.net wrote:

>Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>

>>After that, you should have a legitimate answer or some solid input from
>>Wikimedia users in general over if the idea is a good one or not.  Due
>>to the nature of this project, widespread input is especially
>>recommended.  Mind you, all of the above steps are outlined in the
>>official New Project Policy, as approved by the Wikimedia Foundation
>>board.  The examples I cite are from successful projects that at least
>>have the attention of the board and very substantial community support.
>>

>So Wikiversity has received authority to proceed?
>
>http://en.wikiversity.org/
>
>Still reports wiki as nonexistent.
>
>Unless the geneology project wishes to be in limbo for a couple of years
>they might better advised to ignore the advertised Foundation "policies".
>
>Has any wikimedia project ever been approved by the Board by following
>the advertised policies and procedures?
>
>Do they (the geneology project) have competing projects initiated at
>wikicities.com?
>
>Perhaps they could establish a reference book on geneology at wikibooks
>or an appropriate learning portal at wikiversity prototype and proceed
>while awaiting committee shuffling  and participant selection process to
>gain legitimacy by grandfathering.
>
>lazyquasar

Based on comments from several board members (you can chime in if you
want to) it looks like Wikiversity will likely be formally started as an
independent project sooner or later.  I don't know what the current
hang-up is all about, but this is simply something that takes time.

Or for that matter, if Wikiversity is shot down for reasons other than
liability to the Wikimedia Foundation, I don't think that any other new
project proposal could ever be initiated by ordinary users and become a
full sister project.  I was simply trying to point out that if you want
to have a successful new project proposal, you should try to meet or
exceed proposal quality standards set by some previous projects.  Having
an inferior proposal is only going to increase the likelyhood of its
rejection and raise more questions by the board before it is accepted.

--
Robert Scott Horning