[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 17 00:50:03 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:

>At least in Europe, meetings are frequent, and I am sure will be more
>and more frequent as time.
>Most of these meetings are restricted to one language only. German
>editors had several meetings (in german). Dutch editors had several
>meetings (in dutch/english). French editors had several meetings as well
>(in french)...
>Of course, chinese editors *should* have meetings as well.
>
>Also, you must absolutely believe we understand the language problem.
>Many of those posting on this list are not primarily english speaking.
>In the recent posters, Delphine, Yann, Jean-Christophe, Jean-Baptiste,
>myself are French. Erik, Mathias are Germans. Gerard and Walter are
>Dutch. Aphaia is Japanese. Shizao is Chinese. Some of us are good in
>english. Others are not very good. And we all belong to communities
>where many people do not speak english at all.
>
>French people generally are *bad* in english.

English people are even worse in French

>I hope you (and other chinese who speak english) will post here more
>often. We need you and your input. Last year in Frankfurt, Theodorian
>and others came and told us about the chinese community. You may do the
>same. And I'll tell you about the french ;-)

World and national (or regional) meetings serve completely different
purposes. It's perfectly understandable that very few people from China
appeared at the Frankfurt Wikimania. By having these national meetings
soon after Wikimania it gives those who attended Wikimania an
opportunity to share their experiences with their colleagues that
couldn't make the trip to the other side of the world.

On another topic, I have been trying to encourage a founding meeting of
a Canadian chapter without much success. The big problem for a Canadian
chapter is geography and having a population that is spread across a
5,000 km ribbon. I have been thinking of a one day meeting in Montreal
right after the Boston meeting. This would make it possible for those of
us in the west to stop there on the way back from Boston, or even to car
pool between Montreal and Boston. If this can be arranged would it be
possible for you to come to Montreal for one day to attend?

Ec (Ray)