[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

effeietsanders-list effeietsanders.l at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 22:51:40 UTC 2006

Wow, what a lot of emails :)

Firstly I want to wish the Chinese a lot of succes with organizing their
conference, and I think it is a very good idea indeed. I myself came with an
idea for a wikimedia conference, then under the working name wikimania
reloaded, but now under the proposed name Wikimedia Conferentie Nederland,
WCN in the Netherlands. The main idea was that it should not be a conpetetor
of "Boston", but it should complete it. It should be a conference where
people could discuss the lectures of wikimania with eachother, but where
some lectures were repeated and even some new lectures maybe. In my original
idea it was about 50% discussiongroups and 50% lectures for probably just
one day (instead of Boston's three days?).
Because I am not orginizing it totally by myself, it wouldn't be very odd if
there come some changes in that idea though. It will indeed be in Dutch (at
least for the most part), primarily to the members of the Vereniging. (But
others will probably be welcome as well). I am very glad we have support
from Kennisnet, that already said that they want to be our main sponsor, and
will even help to set ip up.
I certainly hope that most ducth will, when they can afford it, go to both
conferences. The nice thing of NL is that we are reletively small, so
travellingcosts are not that high in NL itself. To Boston however we are
already soon speaking about €500 just for travel. Count then the nightings,
eating, conference-costs and (for students at least) you'll pay a fortune.
So it just will not be possible for a lót of people to go anyway. I guess
it's the same for china, danmark, poland, afrika, all over the world almost.
So it seems very logical to me that people start as well, beside not instead
of, their own conference. I would, if payable, prefer by far the boston
conference, and I think a lot of other people do as well. I think that most
people will try very hard to go to both national as international
conference.
Well, probably a lot of words, and little meaning. Just think it is the
language that is the problem here ;) And people, don't be afraight. People
really DO want to go to wikimania. Also when there is a national conf. It's
just something totally different!

Effeietsanders

ps: see for a (still very) short story about WCN:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCN and http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCN (in
dutch). Feedback is very welcome, please give it at the talkpage in the
dutch wikimedia-WCN-page or give me a mail.