[Foundation-l] Intent to launch Chinese Wikinews

R.O.C sdnyroc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 03:46:43 UTC 2006

i understand brian's main point: the analogy in which a government deems
something harmful (either the substance harmful to the public or the
information harmful to the regime) and bans it, while there are enough
people who still want this stuff and in spite of the government's continuous
efforts and advancement in interception, there are constantly and more
advanced means available to obtain it.

however, i would like to steer away from the impression that we (both
wikimedia and its contributors) have anything to do with outlaws. accessing
and using blocked websites within PRC are not necessarily "breaking the law"
there, at least in the case of wikipedia/wikimedia.

PRC officials and official news media have repeatedly asserted that there
are no censorship laws at all in PRC. (indeed, such laws would be
unconstitutional, although there is no constitutional court in PRC since all
courts report to the people's congress, which functions mainly as the
legislature.) PRC censors do cite and claim their authority from several
regulations and executive rules, for example, the "regulation on protection
of security of computer information systems " (中华人民共和国计算机信息系统安全保护条例) passed
by the state council in 1994, the "administrative rules for protecting
security of international networking of computer information systems"
(计算机信息网络国际联网安全保护管理办法) issued by the department of public safety in 1997, and
the "administrative rules for internet information services" (互联网信息服务管理办法)
passed by the state council in 2000. however, all these regulations and
rules are in essence "executive orders" instead of "laws," and i cannot find
any law of PRC that grants or authorizes the executive branch for issuing
these regulations/rules.

it is true that the standing committee of national people's congress, the
legislature, has released a document named "resolution on maintaining
internet security" (全国人大常委会关于维护互联网安全的决定) in 2000, but it is merely a
resolution (in form of interpreting the criminal law so the
constitutionality of this resolution is not easily disputed) instead of an
act or law of the people's congress.

i also would keep away from the implication that the legal system/conditions
of PRC are comparable to that of the freer countries. firstly, those
executive regulations/rules established without debate, approval, or
authorization from people's representatives are treated and applied as law
-- the "law" lacks both constitutionality and legitimacy. secondly, to this
day it remains unclear which governmental agency ordered ISPs to block
wikipedia and on what basis the order was, indeed it is not even proven
although obvious whether the government is involved in the unconnectivity --
the enforcement lacks forewarning and transparency. thirdly, there is
currently no practical way of suing, appealing, or seeking redress in PRC.

in addition, from my understanding of the afore mentioned regulations/rules,
even when a "harmful" website is identified and blocked, just viewing or
contributing to the "non-harmful" part of information does not seem to be
prohibited, and viewing "harmful" information alone (without disseminating
"state secrets") does not seem to be a criminal offense (although it is
possible to get fines or in serious cases removal of internet access for 6
months).

i hope that i did not sound too offending. if there were mistakes or
misinformation, please kindly let me know.

sincerely,

roc (User:R.O.C)
--

2006/3/14, Brian <brian0918 at gmail.com>:
> Internet access in China following government censorship is becoming
> like drug access in the US following the start of the War on Drugs. For
> those willing to break the law (ie: everyone), it's becoming easier and
> easier to get access to all the possibilities.
>
> R.O.C wrote:
>
> >i checked http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Vote/Zh and found more
> >than 10 users who are currently living in mainland. i think that
> >wikipedia/wikimedia can be accessed and edited from mainland china as
long
> >as the user knows how to use proxies or some special browsers.
> >
> >-roc

If