[Foundation-l] Copyright on Wikisource

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Mar 15 23:18:24 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Furthermore, our *goals* -- neverminding the legal problesm that
>Jean-Christophe Chazalette wrote about -- our *goals* include a very
>high degree of reusability.  Hosting materials that are subject to
>copyright everywhere in the world except in the USA is a mistake on the
>simple grounds that such work would not be redistributable anywhere else.

I agree with that, but there needs to be a balance short of "only host
materials that are freely redistributable in every single country in the
world", lest we end up having to follow the most restrictive copyright
laws in the world.  Under that interpretation, we could, for example,
never post the King James Version of the Bible, because in the United
Kingdom its publication is controlled in perpetuity by the Monarch.  Not
to mention all the many books we can't legally distribute in countries
like China for reasons unrelated to copyright.

-Mark