[Foundation-l] Fair use images

michael_irwin at verizon.net michael_irwin at verizon.net
Sun Mar 12 08:17:25 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>On 3/8/06, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hoi,
>>Your plea is not well targeted. Commons our principal resource for the
>>storage of media does not allow for "fair use" images. You describe a
>>problem that is different depending what resource you target, many
>>projects have different rules as to "fair use". The rules of new and
>>the existence of "fair use" material differ as well. These rules have
>>changed over time consequently pictures that complied with the rules
>>at that time would not comply anymore.

So I guess the need for some kind of targetted rules based ecp or
workflow modification review is emerging?

This can possibly be prototyped manually via procedures before beginning
the mind boggling programming and adminstrative challenge of upgrading
or shifting the entire knowledge base to the new system.   Wikiversity
is a good place for prototyping because it is new and emerging and as
soon as we get approvel from the Board for separate xx.wikiverity.org
knowledge base namespaces we will be faced with transition to the
initial agreed environment within a knowledge base creeping
incrementally toward the Wikibooks host mandated guidlines.

If anyone is interested I can review some U.S. mil-stds to see if there
is applicable material that might provide insight or I can step up my
recruiting efforts for experience field or grid engineer and
technicians.  These people do a range of stuff  (manual ... to self
aware self adaptive software) and could show us while setting up their
field/discpline/company/guild/association useful training materials.
Obviously the free developers and wiki administrators would still have
final say so and responsibility because I am finding these people in
fields I have cited are typically very busy in demand experts.  They
will assist with volunteered effort on a prioritized basis but initial
effects will be slow and accelerate only at a glacial pace as we begin
to refine our research issues and effective prototyping and operational
methods.

I will be offline for a couple of weeks.  So this is a perfect example
of calender impacts from localized space/time/life events.  I realize
everyone is unique in their interface with our unique knowledge pages.
I am happy to see significant progess being made in all steps of the
initially identified requirements.

lazyquasar

lazyquasar