[Foundation-l] Fair use images

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Mar 10 18:11:25 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> >>Actually, most of the content is "fair use" only to United States
> >>users.
> >>

> >It's worse than that, it's only "fair use" for use within the United
> >States.  Which means if an American wants to distribute a copy of
> >Wikipedia to someone in Africa, they have to break the law.
> >
> >And I'd dispute that fair use by Wikipedia means fair use by a large
> >majority of the downstream users.  Wikipedia can and will get away
> >with a lot of things that others can't and won't.
> >

> This seems like a needlessly anti-fair-use position.  It may be accurate
> that *some* cases of fair use are fair use only in the United States, or
> only for Wikipedia, but that's hardly true of all of them, or even the
> majority of them.  Every time we quote an exact sentence or paragraph
> from a published work that's still in copyright, we're doing so under
> fair use (or fair dealing, or whatever the equivalent in various
> countries is), and this seems both unproblematic and something that the
> encyclopedia would be much worse off without.  Perhaps fair use of
> images is less widely respected internationally than fair use of textual
> excerpts, but being more careful with some types of fair use is
> different than abolishing fair-use content on Wikipedia entirely.
>
> -Mark

Well, I thought we were talking about images, which is what I'd
restrict my statement to.

I don't see how my statements are "anti-fair-use", though I don't even
know what that means.  I do think that anything in a Wikipedia article
should at the least be legal for me to print and sell.  If that
position is "anti-fair-use", then I guess I'm "anti-fair-use".

Anthony