[Foundation-l] Fair use images

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 17:37:49 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:
> Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>>> Actually, most of the content is "fair use" only to United States
>>> users.
>>>

>> It's worse than that, it's only "fair use" for use within the United
>> States.  Which means if an American wants to distribute a copy of
>> Wikipedia to someone in Africa, they have to break the law.
>>
>> And I'd dispute that fair use by Wikipedia means fair use by a large
>> majority of the downstream users.  Wikipedia can and will get away
>> with a lot of things that others can't and won't.
>>

> This seems like a needlessly anti-fair-use position.  It may be accurate
> that *some* cases of fair use are fair use only in the United States, or
> only for Wikipedia, but that's hardly true of all of them, or even the
> majority of them.  Every time we quote an exact sentence or paragraph
> from a published work that's still in copyright, we're doing so under
> fair use (or fair dealing, or whatever the equivalent in various
> countries is), and this seems both unproblematic and something that the
> encyclopedia would be much worse off without.  Perhaps fair use of
> images is less widely respected internationally than fair use of textual
> excerpts, but being more careful with some types of fair use is
> different than abolishing fair-use content on Wikipedia entirely.
>
> -Mark
Hoi,
There is no need to be anti fair use. It has no bearing on most
projects. The English language wikipedia is the only one where you could
argue that the American rules apply completely. So its application is
largely overrated. It is much more important to find a way that would
allow us to have a logo of a company in all the other projects. Forget
the English Wikipedia, it is only the biggest. The last time I heard
about it the other projects grow faster than en.wikipedia. So let us
address the issues of these other projects.

I do not want to abolish fair-use I could not care less. It just does
not apply to what I want done, on the projects where there is a need.

Thanks,
    GerardM