[Foundation-l] Wikimedia visual identity guidelines

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 09:03:58 UTC 2006

On 6/30/06, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
> My personal opinion on projects logos is that they *can* be
> transformed, as long as they are properly tagged with the Wikimedia
> copyright notice and *only* used in the Wikimedia projects.

Yes, I agree. Community use is separate from external use, and giving
people a little leeway here is better than constantly trying to clean
up after them.

> The Wikimedia logo however should at all times follow the present
> Wikimedia Visual identity guidelines.

You know that we've argued about this in the past. I don't agree with
the rationale that increasing awareness is a good reason to do this,
but in some ways, the notion that the Wikimedia logo - being about the
organization rather than the individual projects - needs to be
"sacred" does make sense. It is, after all, strongly tied to the
notion of organizational authority.

I do still believe that there might be some derivatives that we should
explicitly authorize, such as slight variants for each committee. I
don't see a consistent pattern of combination of the unmodified
Wikimedia logo with a small icon representing a particular area of
work (communications, research, etc.) as inconsistent with the need
for a stable corporate identity.

Erik