[Foundation-l] Re : Where we are headed

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 26 03:58:29 UTC 2006

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

>James Hare wrote:
>

>>To respond to Jimmy's e-mail,
>>
>>Another problem with communication is all the pages it spans. I maintained
>>several user and user talk pages, but I only need two of them. Although the
>>normal MediaWiki software can maintain the status quo, Wikimedia's should be
>>designed a bit differently: the projects can have the mainspace, the portal
>>space, and the project space, but a central wiki (Meta, anyone?) would have
>>the help pages and the user/user talk pages. Surely this has been discussed
>>before?
>>

>Hoi,
>Yes, it has. There are people, myself included who present themselves
>slightly different depending on the project. For instance what is the
>relevance to the Wiktionary crowd that I have written about the fish
>that swim in the Dutch sweet waters?? Some information is of value never
>mind the project eg the language proficiency that can be found in the
>Babel templates. However, this is only of relevance to the projects
>where someone is active.

I think that the term which you intend is "fresh waters", as opposed to
"salt waters".  My first (unresearched) impression was that "sweet
water" would refer to run-off from farmers' fields that had been
sweetened by the activity of cattle in that field. ;-)

I agree that having separate user and user talk pages on different
projects is a necessary evil.  This avoids having to guess what project
the person with a message is talking about.

Ec