[Foundation-l] (Wikipedia)^RED

Lord Voldemort lordbishopvoldemort at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 20:23:35 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's that if you were to enable the RED option in your settings,
> you'd get a new skin, a different Main Page, and advertisements. Money
> earned from the ads goes towards AIDS research and partially towards
> Wikimedia.
>
> It sounds like a good idea, as long as it's off by default.

Except that we have to do all of the work, pay to use the (RED) name,
and put ads on Wikipedia.  Who's going to volunteer to collect all the
revenue and handle all the donations to the Global Fund?  Why pay to
use their brand name?  If WMF really wanted to donate to the Global
Fund, why not just make a straight donation and skip all the licensing
fees?  Just my thoughts though. --LV