[Foundation-l] (volunteer) job position : Ombudsperson checkuser (or checkuser Ombudsperson or whatever)

Daniel Arnold arnomane at gmx.de
Wed Jun 21 22:10:52 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2006 21:50 schrieb Sam Korn:
> You quoted "> 50%" of checkuser uses are on en.wikipedia.  Looking at
> traffic figures (Alexa), this seems about right.
>
> Perhaps it is more de.wikipedia using CheckUser proportionally very
> little rather than en.wikipedia using it proportionally very much.

Well I didn't suggest that en.wp did abuse Checkuser and I also think that
en.wp people didn't abuse it. I am very confident that every single Checkuser
can be justified afterwards.

But what I was suggesting was an alternate aproach which has it pros and cons
as well. I don't think in black-white categories.

I am learning as well. The reason why de.wp does not really use Checkuser is
probably a cultural phenomena which can be understood best by the way how
computer technology is being percieved in Germany/Austria/Switzerland. Every
new technology gets anxiously reviewed by society but later after people
deliberated about the technology they use it very extensive with a clear
roadmap what they want to to with it; perhapes this explains why German is so
overproportionally represented online but why in contrast new ideas in the
internet mainly come from the US where people just play around with cool new
stuff - take these comments with a grain of salt this is just a
non-scientific personal observation.

Arnomane