[Foundation-l] (volunteer) job position : Ombudsperson checkuser (or checkuser Ombudsperson or whatever)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Wed Jun 21 14:07:46 UTC 2006

Daniel Arnold wrote:

>So data security is very important and it should be made clear to all
>ckeckusers but creating yet another ombudsman creates IMHO more avoidable
>meta-work (= work that does not improve a wikipedia article).
>IMHO "CheckUser-abuse" is mainly an en.wikipedia problem and should be
>adressed there locally in the main line.
>
>Arnomane

I've heard a lot of fear mongering and what I percieve to be unwarrented
fears about abuses to checkuser actions.  Can you give some clear
examples of what have been percieved as abuses of those with checkuser
privileges, at least types of problems that have happened as a matter or
practice?

I know I am speaking from an apparent minority opinion on this mailing
list, but I fail to see what real damage is happening from simply
looking up the IP address of a user.

--
Robert Scott Horning