[Foundation-l] Opinions/suggestions for "outside" members of the board?

Ilya Haykinson haykinson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 00:18:41 UTC 2006

I'll suggest three people who I think are great candidates for our board.

First, Brewster Kahle, founder of Alexa and the Internet Archive.
According to our own article on Brewster, his personal goal is
"Universal Access to all Knowledge", which seems pretty darn
compatible. His actions consistently show that he takes this goal very
seriously, and he would bring a huge wealth of practical experience in
making knowledge distribution viable.

Second, Mike Godwin (of EFF, and Godwin's Law fame) might be a good
choice.  A prominent legal scholar with a dedication to freedom of
speech, a great knowledge of the Internet, Mike could bring a solid
and practical legal view to our board.

Finally, I suggest Mark Shuttleworth.  An African citizen who was one
of the first to form a business dedicated to privacy and security on
the Internet, Mark is active in the Linux world and is involved in
educational and access-to-knowledge projects. His presence could not
only further internationalize our board, but it could help us work
better with potential future business partners in actually delivering
the knowledge our projects document.

-ilya