[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] the easy way or the less easy way

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 01:13:46 UTC 2006

What are the benefits of membership?

On 6/17/06, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com> wrote:

< you get to "belong" and call yourself a member.

I would say this sums it up well.  Not necessarily based on dues; the
definition of membership helps people identify with a group or cause.
Some people like the foundation and would want to be members.  Others
would not.  Those that would, might be glad to have a little icon or
<cough> userbox to put on their user page, might be willing to answer
some basic information about themselves such as a general survey,
might be glad to have the opportunity to sign up for regular
information or to be reminded about events such as fund drives and
conferences.  By making a small effort each year to identify as
members, they would have a stronger sense of participation in the
Foundation.

When becoming a member of my local NPR affiliate, I have the 'right'
to be solicited by them to renew my membership.  I'm not aware of any
other rights I have; though I get some member-related swag.
Nevertheless, I feel good about said membership process, better than
just saying "yes, I'm a listener".

As to anonymity...

> > in, required or otherwise, I think recent history has shown that part of the
> > lingering appeal to many in the community is that anonymity will be
> > respected.

I don't know anyone actively interested in being a member of the
foundation (whatever that means) who wants their identity to be hidden
*from the foundation*.  Hidden from other editors and from the general
public, perhaps.  I can imagine the former being the case in a
theoretical sense; but I would like to know of a single example so
that we're not setting up a complete hypothetical as a strawman.

SJ