[Foundation-l] (volunteer) job position : Ombudsperson checkuser (or checkuser Ombudsperson or whatever)

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 22:11:02 UTC 2006

Robert Scott Horning wrote:
> Samuel Klein wrote:

>>A general abuse-l at wikimedia.org / OTRS queue might be broadly useful.
>>There are some similar processes for dealing with abuse complaints,
>>checkuser or no.
>>
>>SJ
>>

> I second this sentiment.  There is no reason why checkuser complaints
> ought to be singled out as something unique and special compared to
> other admin abuses.

I disagree.

CheckUser (with Oversight now) is the only action which may be done with
no possibility to revert.

If an admin blocks someone, you can unblock. If a bureaucrate wrongly
sysop someone, you may remove status etc...

When once a checkuser has messed, you may not remove information from
people memories.

Outing certain information may lead to a lawsuit. Blocking someone
probably not.

The tool is special because it could involve the Foundation and because
it is non reversible.

Ant