[Foundation-l] Mail Stats

Erik Zachte erikzachte at infodisiac.com
Fri Jun 16 14:03:21 UTC 2006

In the category 'nice to know':

I made a script to measure who is most involved in public mailing lists
discussions, and on which lists.

You'll find a complete list of mailing lists and how their activy changed
over time
http://www.infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/ScanMail/

For each list you'll find a breakdown of posts by author, with board
activity added separately, e.g. for the foundation list
http://www.infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/ScanMail/foundation-l.html

Powerposters get their own page (*). They are all combined at
http://www.infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/ScanMail/_PowerPosters.html

Overall board activy on public mailing lists has not significantly decreased
over time
http://www.infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/ScanMail/Board.html
Most change of activity can be alluded to less board posts on technical
lists.

Caveat: be careful with interpretations.

1 Please don't confuse number of posts of a person with relevance of that
person's contributions. Less may be more in some cases.
2 People who seem less active may be very active on private mailing lists.
3 Lists that are hardly active may have a private couterpart.
4 People may have posted with different names, some are already interpreted
as aliasses, but probably some not yet.
5 Over time the character of some lists may have evolved as new more
specialized lists were introduced.
6 There is no strict separation between lists. Non technical lists will
contain technical discussions from time to time.

These stats are autoupdated daily.

By the way, I hope to refresh wikistats as soon as a reasonably complete set
of new downloads is available, with most major wikipedias included.
http://download.wikimedia.org/

Erik Zachte

* Known bug: for some powerposters with special chars in their name their
own page is not linked properly.
Unrelated: Delphine pointed out my posts break mail threads.
That was not on purpose e.g. to draw attention.
I follow lists through pipermail and copy/paste texts I quote.
I'll subscribe to mail, and reply in orderly fashion.