[Foundation-l] Hiring of Interim Executive Director and Legal Counsel

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Fri Jun 16 01:11:38 UTC 2006

Robert Scott Horning wrote:

>Delphine Ménard wrote:
>

>>To make a long story short, as I see it (and as I have made clear in
>>an earlier post) the Foundation should *not* be ruled byt he
>>community, no more than the community should be ruled by the
>>Foundation. Separation as Aphaia put it and to which I agreed means
>>that those from the community who wish to participate in the
>>organisation are more than welcome, but that the community does not
>>have the high hand on things it cannot be held responsible for. I said
>>it earlier and I'll say it again, a great editor in any of the
>>Wikimedia projects does *not* make a great board member/commity
>>member/CEO/accountant, you name it. And the trend as I see it today is
>>that people in the community judge by what they can see. And if the
>>community is not involved in Foundation day-to-day business, they only
>>see how many edits a person has. Not what their real skills are.
>>
>>Delphine
>>

>One thing that democratic institutions do very well with is to get a
>diversity of opinions regarding a topic.  And to get opinions from new
>or shifting viewpoints earlier than most other types of governance units.
>
>The Wikimedia Foundation needs to decide who their "constituants" really
>are in this case.  In other words, who do the board members really
>represent, and what is their purpose in being?  And what is the role of
>the WMF in regards to the Wikimedia projects?
>
>The concern is that perhaps the board is becomming too insular and not
>really paying attention to the participants on the various Wikimedia
>projects.  My response to the above questions, from my viewpoint, is
>that the WMF exists as a support to see that the content on the various
>Wikimedia projects is developed in a consistant and organized fashion.
> And to maintain the servers and other physical and intangable assetts
>that belong to the "community" that is putting all of this together.
> They also exist to keep the needs of potential readers of Wikimedia
>materials and content in mind, as there certainly exists an audience of
>people who read Wikipedia but don't actively work in the creation of
>content.
>
>One other constituancy group that is not often mentioned here is also
>the MediaWiki software developers.  While the software does exist to
>serve and help develop the community, there is a somewhat seperate
>community of people who are developing the software running all of this,
>and that is indeed a seperate "product" that adds to the dynamics of the
>WMF, and something that must be managed as well by the WMF board.  With
>very few exceptions these are all volunteers and are just as valuable as
>people writing Wikipedia articles.  And requires volunteer management
>experience.
>
>The extra dynamic here is that there do exist multiple projects, and in
>essense seperate communities, including different groups speaking
> [...]

Many of the excellent points raised above by Roberth are often addressed
in a business plan or operations plans.   Most not small U.S. business
entities have an annual update process whereby these plans are reviewed,
adjusted, modifed to reflect the organizations current intentions.   The
process is used to update and propagate critical information between all
levels and often even mere  stakeholders.   The plans are typically not
intended as straightjackets rather they are a snapshot at a moment in
time of the best summary of itself the organization can provide to all
its diverse elements.  Another similar tool is a stakeholders report
that summarizes past periods performance compared to the planned
performance and analyzes causes or sources of any major deviation and
appropriate adjustments if any.

Does such a beast exist somewhere publicly available?

regards,
lazyquasar