[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Jun 14 13:19:43 UTC 2006

Michael R. Irwin wrote:
> I have been eagerly awaiting Wikiversity for about three years now as it
> was an obvious synergistic project.   I would be curious as to what the
> real holdup is with it.   Are we afraid of hardware or bandwidth
> limitations?  Are a bunch of self motivated learners to potentially
> radical and threatening to the status quo?

Perhaps the irony is that the board has deliberately chosen not to
engage in "top down management" and to let this community "manage
itself".  This has a lot to recommend it, because the wikiversity
proposal is a lot stronger for it.

But if you are really upset that this community-driven process takes so
long, then instead of clamoring for the board to not micromanage, you
should perhaps ask us to do so.  I am quite sure that we could get
Wikiversity approved and up and running in 2-3 weeks time, if we chose
to run roughshod over the community to do it.

This is actually a very typical scenario, of course.

--Jimbo