[Foundation-l] Fundraising ideas - bursting the bubble

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Wed Jun 14 21:51:03 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>You seem have odd notions about how much work, beyond babysitting
>their pet article and windbagging on lists, that a majority of our
>volunteers are willing to perform.

This was chanted early and often by our lead editors and founding
members.   I arrived at 39k and counting.   Now the English wikipedia
has well over a million articles and counting and a few people on this
list, which as I understand it is not the wikipedia english list, are
presenting issues around the quality of articles throughout the english
Wikipedia as a possibly generic problem with wiki data products built by
internet volunteers.  Shutting up and adding another article to the pile
will not resolve this or many other issues which the Wikimedia
Foundation is experiencing.

Feel free to ignore my posts.  It will reduce the wind for the next few
days, weeks, or months substantially.

I intend to particpate heavily in this list until it becomes time to
initialize wikiversity and I shall vamoose for a while until in my
perception it becomes advantageous to my pet project with wikiversity to
show up and absorb some more information regarding the politics,
organization, and procedures that seem to be impacting my preferred
tasks in less than optimal ways.

I know little of your background but I will share with you in case it
has escaped your attention that even when you are paying people it is
usually counter productive to "yell shut up and get back to work" unless
you are running an old style sweatshop or have very specific well
defined tasks and plenty of supervisors standing around playing gestapo.

Modern business practice in the U.S. has generally concluded the
getstapo overhead is too high to remain competitive.   Perhaps this is
true even when not paying some or most of the work force?

Have a nice day.

regards,
lazyquasar