[Foundation-l] Fundraising ideas - bursting the bubble

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 00:01:25 UTC 2006

--- Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > It must be written and include some other stuff not on normal PayPal or MoneyBookers payment
> > confirmation emails (which reminds, me - I need contact our PayPal rep to find out how to
> > change what those emails say).
> > See
> > http://www.irs.gov/publications/p526/ar02.html#d0e3485
> >
> > -- mav
> >
> Just to clarify what mav said, emails are considered "written"
> communications.  From Publication 1771: "An organization can provide
> the acknowledgment electronically, such as by an e-mail addressed to
> the donor."

Anthony is correct. My point though, is that I'm pretty sure that the confirmation emails sent by
PayPal and MoneyBookers do not clearly provide all the information needed for donors donating $250
or more. Most importantly, they do not explicitly declare whether or not we gave the donor "any
goods or services as a result of [the donor's] contribution (other than certain token items and
membership benefits)."

Giving people gifts for donating would complicate that equation. The current system simply can't
handle that can of tracking. Something I'd like the fundcom to tackle. We need people familiar
with php, HTML and/or MySQL to work that out.

Sign up at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_committee

-- mav