[Foundation-l] Fundraising ideas - bursting the bubble

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Jun 13 23:41:58 UTC 2006

On 6/13/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:
> But before we do this, I would like to clearly distinguish between the
> _legal_ requirements and what we _want_ to do. Anthony said:
>
> > Just to clarify what mav said, emails are considered "written"
> > communications.  From Publication 1771: "An organization can provide
> > the acknowledgement electronically, such as by an e-mail addressed to
> > the donor."
>
> Is that correct? What is Brad's opinion on the legal requirements? In
> some EU countries, we have also gradually introduced digital
> signatures as a valid definition of "written communications". I would
> like to be absolutely clear on what we have to do. If we can use
> digitally signed e-mails, we should do so, even if it requires an
> initial investment in know-how and a certificate.

Publication 1771 is available at
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf if anyone wants to read it.
And to clarify, there's no requirement for the email to be digitally
signed.

Of course, if you have the person's address, I agree the point is
rather moot.  Even if it costs $1 to send a letter to someone donating
$250, that's only four tenths of one percent.    Email would be more
useful if there are donors making that size donation who don't want to
release their address.

I suppose it might cost more than $1 to send a letter outside the
United States, but then again how many people living outside the
United States donate more than $250 to Wikimedia and then file a US
tax return where they itemize deductions?  Probably 0.

Anthony