[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Tue Jun 13 16:48:08 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>>>This hasn't yet been voted on. It doesn't even have a Motion to Vote
>>>yet. I've no idea why it would be regarded as rejected.
>>>
>>>Angela.
>>>

>>It's cute calling an organization "transparent" when even the board
>>members don't even know whether a resolution has been rejected.
>>

>I rest my case.  Anthony is not being serious here, he is trolling.
>
>There is a legitimate question as to what to call a resolution which was
>never voted upon, because no one ever made a motion that it be voted on,
>because it was in preliminary drafting stages.  Was it rejected?  Was it
>never really proposed?  That is what Angela is talking about.
>
>Spinning this into some kind of lack of transparency is just... well, it
>is Anthony.  Nonsense.
>
>--Jimbo

Jimbo, only percieved trolls with little standing to lose with the
powers that be within our "communities" are going to tell the Emperor he
has no clothes.

I have wasted more time than I care to remember wandering around meta
and various mailing lists looking for agendas, results of votes,
minutes, budgets, audit reports, expenditures, etc.   All the typical
data that an organization should routinely produce and publish in a
timely manner to operate efficiently.

Little to none of it is published in an organized meaningful manner for
the simple fundamental reason that we have a stacked Board and what
matters is what Jimbo decides.  In organizations where meaningul
delegation is the rule the data gets produced because everybody needs
it!  Nobody needs it at the Wikimedia Foundation because only Jimbo's
opinion or stated position has any final standing on anything.  So it
does not get routinely produced and posted publicly.

Your committees and people participating in the process are to a large
extent hand picked from the select group are known to get along with you
on the mailing lists.

People like me who have had conflicts in the past are not likely to send
private emails requesting information from insiders who are unlikely to
provide it as a result of past personal conflicts.

I understand that many initiatives have been attempted in the past and
are currently underway but it does not change the fact that few
volunteers want to hang around breathlessly all the time waiting for you
to make decisions.

When those volunteers get interested in a topic and go looking for the
information and cannot find it without querying a wide range of poorly
organized sources the organization does indeed look "opaque".

The best way for you to fix the growing problems of the Wikimedia
Foundation is to unstack the Board.   Hold an immediate election for the
two appointed trustee positions.   Hang onto your personal position by
fiat if you cannot trust the community to vote you onto the Board.  Four
to one looks a lot more honest than three to two but (paraphrasing to
make my point)  ..... "I will almost always not oppose the two electees
... honest."

When your "Interim Director" tells you the same thing or something
similar, remember you heard it first, or at least before, from a "troll".

regards,
mirwin, lazyquasar