[Foundation-l] Hiring of Interim Executive Director and Legal Counsel

Erik Zachte erikzachte at infodisiac.com
Tue Jun 13 01:00:41 UTC 2006

Jimmy
> It is my intention that we be very very careful in this process to
preserve our fundamentally community-driven model,
> while at the same time adding professionalism to the organization in order
to empower and defend the community model. :)

preserve or reaffirm ?

Jimmy
> Among Brad's duties will be to assist in co-ordinating and managing that
search process,
> in conjunction with the board and community leaders of all kinds.

leaders or members ?

Jimmy
> it is my intention to build upon and extend our radical methods of
openness and community involvement,

This is the best statement I heard from you since eight days, when you said
"Under promise over deliver"
I quoted you on that one every day since. :)

------------------------------------

Urgent matters obviously need to be resolved now. In Rome emergencies were
also addressed by subsiding democracy and *appointing* a dictator for half a
year (the meaning of the term dictator has drifted quite far since then).
I'm not sure if 'business deals' count as an emergency. We are not going
bankrupt, have even postponed fund raising. Apart from that I easily accept
that an understaffed central board is in need of speedy reinforcement, as
long as the current model is continued.

After we catered for emergencies, I still hope that the same community that
wisely elected Angela and Anthere (hurray for them) will some day be given
more direct responsibility in deciding how to resolve deficiencies at the
organisational level. To me a community and a foundation are not separate
entities ( I heard this as a closing argument all too often recently ), no
more than a people and its government are separate entities. A government
serves the people and is guided and controlled by the people. I'm not an
expert in political matters, but I feel it makes more sense to draw our
metaphores from an area of human activity where many are to gain from the
actions of some (state/governement) than from areas where some are to gain
much more than others from the activities of many (large corporations).

Having said this I am sure Brad is going to give us his best, and undoubtly
already has, so I wish you all the best, Brad

Erik Zachte