[Foundation-l] Hiring of Interim Executive Director and Legal Counsel

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 00:09:13 UTC 2006

Tim Starling wrote:
> Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>>On 6/12/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>>
>>>We intend to hire a fulltime Executive Director following a very careful
>>>process of consulting with the community, building support globally,
>>>defining what the foundation needs, and a comprehensive search for a
>>>good candidate, both *within the existing community* and *outside the
>>>community*.
>>
>>Is there a timetable for this? Failing that, is there a definite
>>commitment from all sides that this is, indeed, an interim position?
>>When can we expect the first report about the outcome of the search
>>process?
>

> Mav assured us that Tim Shell and Michael Davis were temporary positions,
> remember that?
>
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikilegal-l/2004-January/000254.html
>
> What optimism we had back then.
>
> -- Tim Starling

I think that's an opportunity to give credit when credit is due.

I was not happy either with these two appointments.

Both had temporary positions and I expect that Tim will be replaced this
year.

However, whilst very few people are aware of that, I wish to say that
Michael plays a very important part in the running of the organisation.
He has done an outstanding job on the financial side and I believe that
without his help, the project would have collapsed some time ago. He may
have been appointed, he may have been interim, it does not make him less
valuable. As of today, I am relieved he is on the board.

I think we should not focus on the ways people have been set on board
and of whether they were temporary or not. We should see what they bring
to the organisation first.

I hope Brad and you succeed to work together in harmony as I think both
of you are valuable.

Ant