[Foundation-l] Re : on (re)organizing wikimedia

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Jun 12 16:49:31 UTC 2006

Birgitte SB wrote:

>I certainly don't want to see an advisory group of 50%
>en.WP editors!  However such token represntation as
>proposed in the Wikicouncil plan would be of little
>practical benifit.

The one practical value of "Wikicouncil" that I see beyond simply
choosing board members or charter changes (presumably a useful funciton
for such a body) would also be as a source to draw upon for the various
committees that have been established for the WMF.  I have been a very
vocal critic over how the membership of these committees have been
established, mainly because they are insular in their constitution and I
believe they will have a strong anti-Wikimedia user bias, with strong
hints of eliteism.  If instead you say that you must be an elected
member of the Wikicouncil, that gives a non-discriminatory approach to
joining up, and permits newer (read smaller) projects from also
participating as well.

This isn't to say that the wikicouncil proposal doesn't have problems,
but I think the basic idea does have some merit.  It also gives a way to
"grow" board members, so that you can find people with both the
leadership skills and the knowledge of Wikimedia projects that would be
developed rather than making the leap to board member all at once.  This
would be assuming that you could follow the path of
admin/bureaucrat/steward/community representative/board member of
increasing responsibilities if you wanted to become involved.  The other
approach is to be a famous celebrity or have significant outside
accomplishments (like being a former U.S. President, as an example)
before you are appointed to the WMF board.  I don't like this type of
token board members, even though it is commonly done on other non-profit
organizations.  A third approach is to be a successful and well-liked
professional staff member of the WMF.   I think that some board
positions should be reserved for this sort of person, if only to balance
the board in its attitudes.

--
Robert Scott Horning