[Foundation-l] Fundraising ideas - using what we've already got

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 03:51:03 UTC 2006

OK, I have started putting together some preliminary 'packs'.

See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pfctdayelise/WikimediaShop
& http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pfctdayelise/Commons:Packs

I gather the next fundraiser is coming up reasonably soon, so I
suggest that instead of rolling out something huge, we offer something
quietly. I think I can probably finalise 2-3 'Commons Packs' within
the next few weeks (ZIP consisting of a set of 12 wallpaper-suitable
Wikimedian-created images grouped by theme, + a
README/licensing/intro/seealso/WMpromo HTML page) - definitely a
Science one, plus maybe an animals/insects one or flowers, plus
something landscape-y (we have tons of great images like this and I
haven't started grouping them yet).

Here's the Science one:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pfctdayelise/Commons:Packs#Science

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Avgsizebyday2005.png ,
only 3 days out of all the days during the 3 2005 fundraising drives
had average donations of US$40. So I suggest we set that as target for
this sweetener, to try and lift the average donation to $40 more of
the time.

We could then make a statement like "donate more than US$40 and
receive a set of 12 beautiful computer wallpapers for free! 3 themes
to choose from" and then that would take them through to a download
page where they can choose. I don't know anything about what would be
technically required here.

Two possible problems there, one is that it might drag down some
donations if people were already planning to donate, say, $50, they
might think, "Hey, $40 is enough" and only donate that instead.
Another possible problem is that it might take away from all the
goodwill fuzziness and people will instead think, "Hey, $40 for
computer wallpaper, that's a rort. Stuff them" (except possibly think
this in a less Australian way :))

So if, for these reasons, all ye foundation-l folk aren't keen to do
this, then I have a backup suggestion! Offer the downloads to people
who donate above $40 (or whatever), but as a (semi-)secret - don't
tell them before they donate. Then we can say, "Since you donated
above $40, you receive a free wallpaper set as a special thankyou." I
can't see anyone having a problem with this since hey, they already
donated...

I guess we would be able to get download statistics, so we would at
least be able to see if people are keen to download such things, and
we can set up a feedback page obviously and hopefully if people like
them they will let us know. If it seems to be liked then I would look
at expanding into more "Packs" and cross-project material. And if
nothing else, it will promote the Commons ;) and our fabulously
talented Wikimedians.

so... ?

cheers,
Brianna