[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sun Jun 11 11:23:40 UTC 2006

With all the talk about who is willing and unwilling to be on the board, it
may be worthwhile to get a precise description of what board membership
entails. It is *not* a step up in some imaginary hierarchy--admin, bureacrat,
steward, board member. Far from it.

First and foremost, being on the Board implies fiduciary *responsibility,*
i.e., if the Foundation gets sued, it is the Board members that they will come
after.

It is the ability to exercise oversight, particularly financial oversight.
Are we going to spend half a million dollars on bandwidth or hardware, and if
so, why, i.e., are the monies entrusted to the Foundation being used
responsibly?

For more information, see _http://www.boardsource.org/_
(http://www.boardsource.org/) . And no. When  dealing with legal issues or an audit, the Board
cannot argue that it is is  "creating a new organizational model."

I hope all the self-proclaimed candidates have asked themselves whether  they
really meet these criteria. Furthermore, I would hope that the current  Board
vets any candidates in advance regarding their previous experience--and I
don't mean organizing their fraternity/sorority beer fund.

Danny