[Foundation-l] on (re)organizing wikimedia

Nathan Carter magnaboy at westnet.com.au
Sun Jun 11 04:16:52 UTC 2006

Kelly Martin wrote:

>On 6/10/06, Nathan Carter <magnaboy at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>

>>I have quite a large number of opinions on this.
>>There needs to be an executive in place with the subcommittees which can
>>act relatively autonomously but are responsible to the executive. At the
>>same time I would like to see us have Wikicouncil, where people from the
>>projects meet to discuss them and issues arising out of them.
>>
>>Wikicouncil would then have someone who reported back to the executive
>>and again be responsible to them.
>>
>>The fact is, Joe and Joanne editor couldn't really care less how the
>>organisation is ran so long as everything works. The organisation needs
>>to be ran by experts with a small amount of accountability to the user
>>base (which I feel Wikicouncil would achieve)
>>

>I've long believed that we should have a council/assembly/etc.
>composed of representatives selected by each project; this body should
>elect, at the very least, some portion of the board of directors.
>
>Kelly

I agree there should be a Wikicouncil setup which has an influence on
the executive, but I do not believe that the executive needs to be
elected by the "community". Sure, the community may have a little
influence but we need to remember that the community is a seperate
entity to the foundation itself.
Cheers,
Nathan.