[Foundation-l] project proposal: Wikireason (debate)

reason reason at wikireason.net
Sat Jun 10 00:57:13 UTC 2006

Hello list-readers,

Over a year ago, David Bruhn
(http://wikireason.net/wiki/User:David_Bruhn) made a proposal  that the
Wikimedia Foundation set up a wiki for debating issues
(http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikireason). Around the same time, I
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:AdamRetchless) had set up a wiki
(http://wikireason.net) for the same purpose. David and I discovered
each other's work, decided that we had the same goal, and decided to
develop my wiki site as a demonstration of how wikis can be used for
debate. We hope that the existence of this wiki strengthens our proposal
to the Wikimedia foundation.

With the help of some other participants, we have gotten this project
off of the ground, and overcome the major obstacles to developing this
project. I would like your feedback on the project, especially two issues:

1) Is there much chance of the Wikimedia foundation adopting this project?
2) Would the chance of that happening be improved if we continue
developing the project?

In short, I think that this project deserves to be a sister project of
projects like Wikipedia and Wiktionary because it is of the same scale
and is a general interest project like those. This is illustrated by the
fact that it will have many page names and categories that are identical
to those found in Wikipedia, and debate pages generally link to
Wikipedia pages for background information on the topics of debate.

I also think that Wikireason will complement the existing Wikimedia
foundation projects. I've outlined arguments for this at
http://wikireason.net/wiki/wikireason:Wikireason_and_the_Wikimedia_foundation

Finally, you may like to check out the introductory material that I've
put together (http://wikireason.net/wiki/Wikireason:Introduction). It
needs to be refined, but it should give you the general idea for how I
expect the wiki to work. Of course, I would also appreciate any
suggestions for improving the introductory material, the wiki in
general, or the chances of it being adopted by the Wikimedia foundation.

Thanks,
adam