[Foundation-l] Instant Commons : INCORRECT

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 21:01:06 UTC 2006

On 6/9/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> Isn't the entire *point* of Commons to encourage mirroring?  It's
> supposed to be a resource for the general public, not our own private
> Wikimedia Foundation image repository.  People are already encouraged to
> copy images from there and use them; I don't see why legally providing a
> different way to do what we already encourage people to do would make
> things different.

At this point I'd say that encouraging and providing automated tools
for widespread commons mirroring at this point would be irresponsible.

And the claim that we encourage it today can not be supported. When
was the last commons dump? November 2005.  How many people have
downloaded the 300 gig archive?

1?