[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 16:33:19 UTC 2006

On 6/9/06, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/6/9, Angela <beesley at gmail.com>:
>
> > If it was intended for someone specifically, I would have asked that
> > person privately rather than posting to the list.  This was not
> > intended as a "polite pretext" to anything, but a genuine query as to
> > whether there would be anyone willing to be on the Board if the Board
> > were about to appoint someone.
>
> I definitely would be willing if asked, but I did not react because I
> considered myself too little qualified to actually run, solicit or
> whatever.

My main reason for not volunteering is not that I don't feel qualified
(after watching the recent discussions in here, I realize that I am
quite qualified for the role), but rather because I do not wish to
make the time commitment required to serve on the Board as it
currently operates.

Once the Wikimedia Board starts acting like a nonprofit board, cuts
its meeting frequency to a more reasonable 3 to 6 meetings a year, and
decides to delegate authority to an appropriate cast of professional
and volunteer administrators (instead of trying to run the entire
organization itself), then I would be interested.  However, I simply
don't have the time to participate in the micromanaging disaster that
is the current Board of Directors; the way they're trying to run it is
is a full-time job and I can't afford to give up my current full-time
job  for a position that doesn't pay anything.

Kelly