[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 14:41:59 UTC 2006

On 6/9/06, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at ctelco.net> wrote:
> Tight control of "volunteers" is standard operating practice at
> almost all nonprofits, a management practice that can only produce
> big trouble here. Some insight into how our process works is necessary.

There's a difference between our editors and our volunteers.  Our
editors are, in many ways, our customers, almost as much as our
readers are.  Our volunteers are the people who serve on our myriad
committees, who speak for Wikimedia with the press and with donors,
the people who handle OTRS, our developers, our server administrators,
and others working in a Foundation-related role.  It makes sense for
us to exercise tighter control over these people than we do now, and
we can certainly do so without impacting the open editing aspect of
our projects that has been so successful so far.

I'm undecided as to whether the Foundation should exercise more
control over project administrators; I think this is an issue that
needs to be discussed in more depth than it has to date.

Kelly