[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Jun 9 12:43:29 UTC 2006

Kelly Martin wrote:
> On 6/9/06, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I expect anyone serious about joining the Board this year to be
>> reading this mailing list. They couldn't possibly have a thorough
>> enough understanding of what the Foundation is about without doing
>> that, and for a community representative (as opposed to the outsiders
>> who may be appointed), I do expect them to be participating in
>> foundation issues before they're appointed, as well as being active on
>> the projects.
>
> Actually I think the Board could profit substantially from bringing in
> some outsiders with experience in operating nonprofits but unsullied
> by exposure to the myriad wrong ways that we do things here at
> Wikimedia.

We are considering a variety of options, and will likely do more than
one thing.  We need community people, we need expertise, ideally we will
get both in the same candidate(s), of course, but your point adds
another dimension: not for a majority of the board OF COURSE, but having
serious input at the board level from people who are able to see us from
a distance better than we can see ourselves up close would be valuable.

--Jimbo