[Foundation-l] Instant Commons : INCORRECT

amgine at saewyc.net amgine at saewyc.net
Fri Jun 9 03:10:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-06 at 22:42 +0200, Daniel Arnold wrote:
So please in every local wiki educate people that Fair Use is a clear NO.
> Please make this everywhere your most important image copyright policy.
>
> I know that this sounds radical to some of you but it would really help
us a
> lot and it is worth the trouble (the trouble will quickly decrease after
> you're mainly done with fair use deletions).

Arnomane, perhaps you and I do not agree on the purpose of Commons, but I
thought it was to serve as a useful repository for the projects, and
minimize the need/likelihood of multiple image copies. Fair Use is
absolutely necessary for Wikinews. The fact Fair Use in any form is not
accepted on Commons is the reason Wikinews project sites now have file
uploads; Commons was not being useful to this project in this regard.

Commons does work no one else has the expertise or patience to do, and it
could be an extremely valuable tool for the WMF project sites. I do not
know about others, but this sounds to me very much like Commons is
dictating image policy to the projects, and not the other way around the
way Commons was set up to be. While I greatly respect the work Commons
does, when it interferes or harms the projects I have little respect for
the actions of Commons.

Amgine