[Foundation-l] Instant Commons : INCORRECT

Daniel Arnold arnomane at gmx.de
Thu Jun 8 17:03:16 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag, 08. Juni 2006 16:42 schrieb Erik Moeller:
> > 4. Although copyright concerns are mentioned, they don't seem to be
> > explored in depth. Commons has a huge amount of copyright violations
> > on it today.
>
> Then they should be deleted. InstantCommons is a manual,
> user-initiated process. Commons has no legal responsibility to stop
> users of other wikis from copying images from Commons, whether it is
> by means of manually downloading or uploading, or by setting their
> wiki up for IC and initiating an IC transfer process. The copyright
> cleanup script is a convenient thing we can provide, and by no means a
> legal necessity.

FYI: Wikimedia Commons has already such a thing. We made our
license/maintenance templates machine understandable (not just readable :p)
and any script can make use of it. See:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Tag_categories

There is already a brand new alpha media search engine by Duesentrieb using
that feature (remember Wikimedia Commons is not indexed in any search engine,
due to a technical problem with file extension pagenames like
Image:example.png that let skip all search engine robots indexing these HTML
pages, this affects all MediaWiki wikis for those that still don't know ;):

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~daniel/WikiSense/MediaSearch.php?wikifam=commons.wikimedia.org

It also linked in our slightly modified search page: ;)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Search

Another use of these tag categories and many more modules (like the CheckUsage
module) is the CommonsTicker (already advertised here).

So completely independent the question how and when to relize InstantCommons
you can imagine how to solve some legal problems technically.

Arnomane

P.S.: I will write to you some more things I fear getting lost in that
somewhat heated debate here in a private mail in some hours.