[Foundation-l] Instant Commons : INCORRECT

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jun 8 13:11:07 UTC 2006

Birgitte SB wrote:
> I cannot agree with you on this point.  Contracts must
> be with the Foundation if they want the WMF's name
> attached to it.  If Kenniset was willing to give the
> money to anyone willing to make it happen (Wikimedia
> or otherwise), I imagine you would have already worked
> it out.

Kennisnet contacted me at the time, and I recommended that they not fund
it until a proper proposal was in place.  I would repeat that
recommendation today, under the same circumstances, and for the same
reasons.

> With regards to the rest of you email.  The Board is
> going to hire an interim executive director.
> Hopefully it will be soon.  This shows me that the
> Board is addressing your corncerns about their
> efficiency.

In this particular case, the lack of efficiency was not from the WMF
board.  We were presented with no proper proposal but instead a set of
very insistent demands that we tell Kennisnet "yes" within a day or two,
to a project which had not been explained, with a budget which was not
explained, etc.

I make no apologies for saying no to that kind of nonsense, whether from
Erik or Gerard or anyone else, no matter how much I may like and trust them.

--Jimbo