[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Alison Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Mon Jun 5 20:51:17 UTC 2006

(just found that my answer lost itself!)

On Mon, June 5, 2006 21:10, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 6/5/06, Alison Wheeler <wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> is about the creation of a freely-accessible encyclopedia to every
>> person
>> on the planet*.
> [snip]
>
> And when did the purpose of the project relax from being the creation
> of perpetually [[Free content]] to merely the creation of content
> which is accessible without a charge?
>
> I'm picking a nit here, no doubt, but it's an important one... and I
> don't want to see this thread cited in a later argument when Wikimedia
> UK isn't around to clarify.

Firstly, it was a post by me and nothing to do with WMUK, but
"freely-accessible" content *is* "perpetually free content" so far as I
too am concerned and is not restricted just to charges.  Freedom can refer
to platform, access, language, methods (eg not just print but braille and
spoken) not just cash and where it goes. Just as Wikimedia isn't now only
about Wikipedia - where we started. We have all the projects to improve
and expand.

The cash we need to support our range of projects though, is another thing
entirely. We need lots of that ... and to spend it wisely ...

Alison Wheeler